This article is published in Aerospace Daily & Defense Report part of Aviation Week Intelligence Network (AWIN), and is complimentary through May 29, 2026. For information on becoming an AWIN Member to access more content like this, click here.
LONDON—Organizers of the Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) have canceled this year’s air show over the uncertainty of access to RAF Fairford.
The airfield in Gloucestershire, England, has been used as a base for U.S. Air Force Boeing B-52 and Rockwell B-1B bombers to strike targets in Iran.
Although bombing raids from Fairford have been halted since a fragile ceasefire was put in place on April 8, uncertainty about whether hostilities may resume has prompted organizers to pull the plug on the show, which was planned for July 17-19.
Organizers said May 22 that calling off the event was not an “easy decision” and followed extensive discussions with both the UK Royal Air Force and the U.S. Air Force.
The decision has been taken before work was due to begin on building the show venue. Construction of chalets for corporate visitors and grandstands for enthusiasts would have started imminently.
Furthermore, there would have been complex security issues to navigate with having the bombers and their associated munitions in close proximity to the thousands of visitors.
“We know how much RIAT means to everyone and recognize how disappointing this news will be. It is a disappointment we feel just as strongly,” said Gavin Gager, the CEO of Royal Air Force Charitable Trust Enterprises, the organization that arranges the show.
“Looking ahead, we remain fully committed to returning in 2027, and to making sure RIAT comes back stronger than ever,” Gager added.
This is only the second time the event has been canceled. Organizers halted the 2008 show because heavy rain in the run-up to the event saturated car parks rendering them unusable. That decision was only taken after all the participating aircraft had arrived.
RIAT has become a meeting point for the world’s air forces, attracting international air chiefs and participating aircraft from across the globe.
Last year’s show saw the first attendance of the Egyptian Air Force. This year’s RIAT was set to attract aircraft from Kuwait and Qatar, as well as from across Europe.
The Fairford-based U.S. bombers have continued to fly training sorties from the base. The U.S. Air Force has continued to build-up stocks of munitions at the base using regular U.S. Civil Reserve Air Fleet flights so they are stocked up should air strikes be resumed.
In mid-May, U.S. President Donald Trump said he halted plans to resume air strikes on Iran after requests from Gulf leaders. Those strikes would have likely used the Fairford-based bombers.
Organizers are now gearing up for next year's edition of the event, planned for July 16-18, 2027.




