Date Set For New Zambian National Carrier’s Take-Off

By Alan Dron Aug 12, 2021
The latest incarnation of Zambia Airways has been in the works for three years. Zambia’s Industrial Development Corp. holds a 55% stake in the new carrier while Ethiopian Airlines has the remaining 45%. 
Airlines & Lessors

Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737-800F Lands At Wrong Airport 

By Kurt Hofmann Apr 07, 2021
Two Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737s reportedly approached an under-construction airport near Ndola, Zambia on April 4 and one proceeded to land.
Airports & Routes

Ethiopian Airlines Marks Year Of Using Passenger Aircraft For Cargo

By Kurt Hofmann Mar 26, 2021
Ethiopian Airlines has reported that it operated 5,645 cargo flights using the cabin of passenger aircraft for freight over the past 12 months.
Airlines & Lessors

Ethiopian Airlines To Use African Union ‘Trusted Travel Pass’

By Victoria Moores Mar 22, 2021
Ethiopian Airlines is rolling out ‘Trusted Travel Pass,’ an African platform that verifies COVID-19 medical information and aims to harmonize entry and exit screening across the continent.
Airlines & Lessors

Ethiopian Airlines To Stick With Boeing 737 MAX

By Jens Flottau Feb 10, 2021
Ethiopian Airlines has decided to continue operating the Boeing 737 MAX and now plans to return the aircraft to service in July. 
Aircraft & Propulsion

France Suspends Ethiopian Airlines Flights Over Missing PCR Tests

By Helen Massy-Beresford Jan 28, 2021
France has suspended Ethiopian Airlines flights to French destinations for four days over missing polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests.
Airlines & Lessors

African Free Trade Area Goes Live; Full Ratification Remains A Goal

By Victoria Moores Jan 05, 2021
Ethiopian Airlines, DHL and African Electronic Trade Group (AeTrade Group) were among the first companies to transport cargo under the new African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA), which became operational on Jan. 1.
Airlines & Lessors

Ethiopian Airlines Ready To Distribute COVID-19 Vaccine Worldwide

By Kurt Hofmann Nov 06, 2020
The CEO of Ethiopian Airlines has put the airline forward to distribute a potential COVID-19 vaccine across Africa and the rest of the world.
Airlines & Lessors

Lack Of MAX Information Delaying Ethiopian Airlines’ Fleet Decisions, CEO Says

By Kurt Hofmann Sep 09, 2020
A lack of “clear information” from Boeing on the return of the 737 MAX is hampering Ethiopian Airlines’ ability to make decisions on its future narrowbody fleet as it studies the Airbus A220, according to the flag-carrier’s CEO Tewolde Gebremariam.
Airlines & Lessors

Ethiopian Airlines 777F Catches Fire In Shanghai

By Chen Chuanren Jul 22, 2020
An Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 777F freighter caught fire July 22 while unloading cargo at Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG). Video…
Safety, Ops & Regulation

Ethiopian Airlines Looking To Convert Passenger 737-800s Into Freighters

By Kurt Hofmann Jul 16, 2020
Ethiopian Airlines plans to grow its cargo fleet with additional freighters after shifting its focus to cargo revenues during the height of the novel coronavirus outbreak. 
Airlines & Lessors

ET302 Interim Report Fingers MAX Flight-Control System, Offers No Analysis

By Sean Broderick Mar 09, 2020
The Ethiopian Transport Ministry’s interim report on the crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 (ET302) focuses on the role played by a now-redesigned 737 MAX flight control law implicated in an earlier MAX accident as well as inadequate pilot training.
Safety, Ops & Regulation

Ethiopian Airlines Undecided On MAX Strategy

By Victoria Moores Mar 09, 2020
One year after the fatal Boeing 737 MAX crash that triggered a worldwide grounding of the type, Ethiopian Airlines group CEO Tewolde GebreMariam remains undecided on the airline’s future MAX strategy.
Airlines & Lessors

Ethiopian Airlines CEO: African Carriers ‘Should Cooperate More’

By Alan Dron Mar 04, 2020
African airlines need support from their respective national governments and must also come together to face the problems confronting the airline industry on the continent, Ethiopian Airlines CEO Tewolde Gebremariam said Mar. 4.
Airlines & Lessors

FAA Administrator Asserts Certification Process ‘Not Broken’

By Sean Broderick Dec 13, 2019
WASHINGTON—The FAA’s top official remains confident in the agency’s certification methodology and processes for evaluating safety-critical issues,…
Business Aviation