Iberia’s MRO Unit to Service V2500 Engines for Qatar Airways

Iberia Maintenance conducts full overhauls on the V2500 at its Madrid facility.
Credit: Iberia

The MRO division of Spanish airline Iberia has agreed to a 10-year contract to service V2500 engines for Qatar Airways.

Iberia Maintenance will carry out the scheduled shop visits on the engines at its specialist facility in Madrid, where in addition to the V2500, it also undertakes full overhauls on the CFM56 and, to a lesser extent, Rolls-Royce’s RB-211. In Madrid, it also operates a test cell with 90,000 lb. of thrust.

Across its fleet, Qatar Airways operates 32 Airbus A320 family aircraft powered by the V2500.

Javier Sánchez-Prieto, Iberia´s chief executive, says the MRO division has invested heavily into the V2500 engine program in recent years.

Iberia Maintenance plans to introduce maintenance services for the V2500’s successor engine, the Pratt & Whitney GTF later this year.

Around 35% of Iberia Maintenance’s work is generated from airlines within its IAG parent group, with the remaining 65% coming from outside of the group.

James Pozzi

As Aviation Week's MRO Editor EMEA, James Pozzi covers the latest industry news from the European region and beyond. He also writes in-depth features on the commercial aftermarket for Inside MRO.