Emirates Airline suffered its first-ever hull loss accident on Aug. 3 when a Boeing 777-300 crash-landed at Dubai International Airport.

The aircraft, registered as A6-EMW, was operating Flight EK521 from Thiruvananthapuram, India. It took off at 10:19 a.m. local time and was scheduled to land in Dubai at 12.50 p.m. local. The flight touched down in Dubai at 12:43 p.m. on Runway 12L, according to Flightradar24.com.

Emirates confirmed there were 282 passengers and 18 crew on board. “All passengers and crew are accounted for and safe,” the airline said. However, the aircraft was destroyed by a large fire.

Initial, unconfirmed reports claimed the aircraft touched down hard upon landing. Recordings of air traffic control communications confirm that Flight EK521 was on a normal approach and had not declared an emergency, but was told to climb to 4,000 ft. shortly before touch down for an as-yet-unknown reason. Around 20 sec. later, Flight EK565 (following Flight EK521 in the arrival pattern) was told to go around. Flightradar24 data suggests Flight EK521 re-initiated a short climb in the final moments of flight, but then descended again. The exact sequence of events remains to be determined.

The weather reports for noon and 1 p.m. at Dubai International contain wind shear warnings for all runways, blowing dust and relatively poor visibility. Wind was predicted to be from 110 deg. at 21 kt. at noon, and for only 12 kt. from 140 deg. an hour later.

Footage posted on Twitter shows the aircraft coming to a halt while turning almost 180 deg., with the front and main landing gear collapsed and the No. 2 engine detached. The fire intensified after the aircraft had come to a stop, and videos published on Twitter show a fuel explosion inside a starboard wing tank.

The aircraft was delivered to Emirates in 2003. According to the Aviation Week Intelligence Network fleet database, Emirates operates 12 777-300s, nine of which are on lease. The airline has a total of 156 777s in service, 118 of which are 777-300ERs. Emirates is the largest operator of the type worldwide.

The airline has never had a hull-loss accident before. A serious incident involving an official investigation took place in March 2009. Then, an Airbus A340-500 took off from Melbourne, Australia at the engine wrong power setting. The aircraft was damaged but could be repaired. No one was injured.

The Aug. 3 Emirates crash was the sixth 777 hull loss since the type entered commercial service in 1994. It was the fourth in the past three years, following the 2013 crash of Asiana Flight OZ214 and Malaysia Airlines flights MH370 in 2013 and MH17 in 2014. A Singapore Airlines 777-300ER caught fire June 27 after having returned to Changi Airport because of a fuel leak. The fire was extinguished, and passengers and crew were evacuated.

Dubai International was closed immediately after the Aug. 3 crash. Many flights diverted to other airports were returned to their origin. Diversion airports included Dubai World Central; Sharjah, United Arab Emirates; Al Ain, UAE; Manama, Bahrain; and Muscat, Oman.

Emirates initially stated it expected a “four-hour network-wide delay.” That was later revised to an eight-hour delay. The carrier also canceled 22 flights out of Dubai and the return services, plus six additional flights at out-stations. It was not clear if and when the list would be updated.

Dubai International reopened shortly after 7.30 p.m. local time. A FedEx Boeing 777F was the first aircraft to depart. Emirates Flight EK236, a Boeing 777-300ER inbound from Chicago, was the first aircraft to land following the resumption of operations. Take-offs and landings were limited to Runway 12R. Other North American arrivals, and FlyDubai narrowbody aircraft landings, followed. Airport operator Dubai Airports said priority was given to large aircraft.