BizAv Avionics Sales Rise In 2Q But Decline For First Half Of 2021

Learjet 45
Credit: Wikipedia

Business and general aviation avionics sales during the second quarter totaled $500.9 million, up 2.1% from the same period a year ago, according to the Aircraft Electronics Association (AEA). But sales for the first six months totaled $1.07 billion, a 7.1% decrease from the year-ago period. 

Retrofit sales for the first six months of 2021—avionics equipment installed after original production—declined 4.1% to $588.2 million, while forward-fit sales fell 10.5% to $481.5 million.

The majority of the sales, 75.2%, took place in the U.S. and Canada; the remaining  24.8% came from international customers.

 “While it’s encouraging to see a modest increase in sales compared to the second quarter of last year, this report is somewhat mixed as it ended a string of sales increases over the preceding nine months,” said Mike Adamson, AEA president and CEO. “The avionics industry is still facing some headwinds with various supply-chain issues and global travel restrictions. With new products and services entering the market, the resounding success of recent trade shows and resilient consumers, there are still positive signs for general aviation to continue its climb.”

Avionics sales in 2020 fell 26% compared to 2019, following sales growth in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

Molly McMillin

Molly McMillin, a 25-year aviation journalist, is managing editor of business aviation for the Aviation Week Network and editor-in-chief of The Weekly of Business Aviation, an Aviation Week market intelligence report.