PRESS RELEASE: Routes Africa Marketing Awards Winners Announced
Kilimanjaro International Airport takes top spot for second year running
24th June 2014, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Kilimanjaro International Airport has been crowned overall winner of the Routes Africa Marketing Awards for the second year running. The winners of the 4th regional heat of the Routes Marketing Awards were announced last night during the Routes Africa Networking Evening which took place against a stunning backdrop on the Golf Course of the Elephant Hills Hotel & Resort.
Speaking just after receiving the award Mattijs Smith, Managing Director of Kilimanjaro Airport said: “We are very delighted and proud to win the overall Routes Africa award for the second year in a row. This award is a true recognition by our airline customers for strengthening our existing routes and achieving a record growth of 24% in traffic in 2013.”
The annual Routes awards are highly regarded as the most prestigious awards in the industry as they are voted for and judged by the airline network planning community. They provide the airline community with the chance to have their say as to which airport or tourism authority they think provides the best overall marketing services to them whether this relates to their particular relationship, effective results, provision of data and information or innovative techniques to establish new or maintain and develop existing routes.
Katie Bland, Director Routes for UBM Live commented: “We were delighted with the high level of submissions and congratulate all those that were nominated, those recognised as Highly Commended by the panel of judges and of course all of the section winners. Kilimanjaro International Airport has once again shown how seriously it takes network development and their submission included examples of their marketing material and their dedication to improving routes to their airport.”
As overall winner of this regional heat, Kilimanjaro International Airport will be automatically shortlisted for the World Routes Marketing Awards which will be announced in Chicago this September. Kilimanjaro joins Tampa International Airport, Abu Dhabi International Airport and City Airport Bremen who were announced as overall winners of the Americas, Asia and Europe heats respectively, earlier in the year.
Kilimanjaro was also named as the winner from the Under 4 million passengers category, with Durban King Shaka International Airport honoured from the Over 4 million passengers category and Madagascar Tourism Board ranked top in the Destination Marketing Category.
The shortlisted finalists were nominated by airlines and a respected panel of judges, made up of senior members of the airline network planning community from the region, then reviewed the lists and submissions from the nominated airports, in order to determine the winners. The panel consisted of the following experts:
Mrs. Rosemary Ramakagapola, Network Planning Analyst, South African Airways
Mr. Richard Bodin, Chief Commercial Officer, Fastjet
Mr. Jonay Lobo Torres, Revenue Management, Binter Canaries
Miss Cynthia Jepkemboi, Senior Strategic Planning Analyst, Kenya Airways
A complete list of companies shortlisted under each award category is below:
Over 4 Million Passengers
Durban King Shaka International Airport- Winner
Casablanca Mohammed V Airport- Highly Commended
Addis Ababa Bole Airport
Cape Town International Airport
Under 4 Million Passengers
Kilimanjaro International Airport- Winner & Overall Winner
Antananarivo Ivato International Airport- Highly Commended
Julius Nyerere International Airport
Maputo International Airport
Sikhuphe International Airport
Windhoek Hosea Kutako International Airport
Destination Marketing Award
Madagascar Tourism Board- Winner
Ministry of tourism of Mozambique
São Tomé and Príncipe Tourism Board
Tanzania Tourist Board
- ENDS -
Notes to Editors
- Routes organises world-renowned airline and airport networking events through its regional and global Route Development Forums. Each year, there is one global event and one regional event in Asia, Africa, Europe, the Americas and CIS respectively. www.routesonline.com
- Routes was founded in 1995 as part of the Manchester UK‐based ASM Ltd., a consultancy specialising in the field of route development for airports. www.asm‐global.com. Routes and ASM are part of the UBM Live division of UBM plc.
- UBM Live connects people and creates opportunities for companies across five continents to develop new business, meet customers, launch new products, promote their brands and expand their markets. Through premiere brands such as MD&M, CPhI, IFSEC, TFM&A, Cruise Shipping Miami, the Concrete Show, the Routes portfolio of events, Airport Cities and many others, UBM Live exhibitions, conferences, awards programs, publications, websites and training and certification programs are an integral part of the marketing plans of companies across more than 20 industry sectors. www.ubmlive.com
For further press information please contact:
T: +44 (0) 161 234 2730
Follow us on twitter: @Routesonline, @TheHUBRoutes, @VictoriaRoutes, @NLPROU, @airlineroute
About UBM plc
- UBM plc is a global events-led marketing services and communications company. We help businesses do business, bringing the world’s buyers and sellers together at events and online, as well as producing and distributing news and specialist content. Our 5,500 staff in more than 30 countries are organised into expert teams which serve commercial and professional communities, helping them to do business and their markets to work effectively and efficiently.
- For more information, go to www.ubm.com; follow us on Twitter at @UBM_plc to get the latest UBM corporate news; follow @UBM for news from all UBM's businesses; follow @UBM for a flavour of UBM from selected members of UBM's Twitterati.