This article is published in Aerospace Daily & Defense Report part of Aviation Week Intelligence Network (AWIN), and is complimentary through Feb 26, 2026. For information on becoming an AWIN Member to access more content like this, click here.
LONDON—British space-launch startup Orbex has made what seems like a last-minute push to generate appetite in its business as it faces closure, releasing previously unseen images of its Prime rocket.
The company last week said it was insolvent and would appoint an administrator to wind down its operations after talks to sell the operation to German startup The Exploration Company failed. Orbex, on Feb. 16, released photos of the Prime rocket the company was hoping to fly for the first time this year.
“These images show just how close we were,” Orbex Chief Technology Officer Andy Bradford said.
The company said it would continue to explore options, including potential sale of some or the entire business.
The company had built components for more than the first launch and said it had several satellite customers signed up to use its rocket that was due to fly from the SaxaVord Spaceport in Scotland.
Another British company with space-launch ambitions, Skyrora, says it plans to explore buying Orbex assets, including the Sutherland Spaceport. The deal could involve an investment of up to up to £10 million ($13.6 million). The company last year secured UK government approval to pursue launches from the SaxaVord Spaceport with the 36-ft.-tall suborbital Skyrora L, an offshoot of the company's development work on the orbital Skyrora XL.
“Skyrora is committed to delivering sovereign launch capability for the UK,” Skyrora COO Jack-James Marlow said in a statement.
“Launch will not only unlock commercial activity for companies that need to access space and help achieve the government’s objectives for becoming a global player in the space sector, but it is also a strategic defense consideration,” Marlow added.
Orbex was one of five European launch newcomers attracting interest for the European Space Agency under its European Launcher Challenge. ESA says it is now looking to learn what the UK government will do with the money it pledged against the program, with London saying it has yet to define that plan.




