MIAMI—The Association of European Airlines (AEA) has presented several scenarios of how the many European airline lobby groups can better integrate or combine forces, AEA CEO Attar Hussein Khan told Aviation Week on the sidelines of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Annual General Assembly (AGM).

AEA has taken a massive hit as a result of the recent exit of International Airlines Group (IAG) carriers British Airways (BA), Iberia, Alitalia, and Air Berlin, a move the airlines made after voicing their disagreement in key policy areas, such as how to deal with the Gulf carriers. However, Hussein Khan says AEA is “not in financial difficulties,” despite the reduced membership fees. He points out that the association has been doing very well in 2014 and 2015, partly because of a 30% cut in costs over the past two years.

European airline interests are represented by AEA, the European Regions Airline Association (ERA), the European Low Fare Airlines Association (ELFAA) and the International Air Carrier Association (IACA). IATA also has a Brussels office. Joining forces has been on the agenda before, but none of the associations took any concrete steps.

The AEA CEO says the association favors more integration, which he says is “long overdue.” He argues that airlines of various business models share common interests in 85% of all cases, and should be able to compromise on the remaining 15%. Hussein Khan cautions, however, that integration “is not going to happen tomorrow.”