Bombardier has restarted engine ground runs on the CSeries, with new “control measures” introduced following the May 29 failure of a Pratt & Whitney PW1500G geared turbofan during maintenance ground tests.
 
But the new narrowbody aircraft will miss its debut at next month’s Farnborough air show to avoid losing more time from the delayed flight-test program.
 
The manufacturer says tear-down inspection and analysis of the failed engine at Pratt’s Connecticut plant has resulted in “a very good understanding of the sequence of events leading up to the incident.”
 
Bombardier does not give the cause, but CEO Pierre Beaudoin last week told analysts from UBS that the low-pressure turbine failed. The company confirmed the engine had been having problems and had been repaired just before the failure.
 
The first flight-test aircraft, FTV-1, was damaged in the incident, and Bombardier ceased flying aircraft FTV-2, -3 and -4 after the engine failure, but continued ground tests of the avionics, electrical system and auxiliary power unit.
 
The airframe damage to FTV-1 “is manageable and our engineering and maintenance teams have commenced repairs,” the company says in a statement.
 
The Canadian manufacturer says CSeries flight testing is “expected to resume in the next few weeks.” By the time of the incident, the four aircraft had accumulated about 330 of the 2,400 hours of flight testing required for certification of the initial 110-seat CS100 version.
 
Bombardier says entry into service of the CS100 is “still expected in the second half of 2015.”