India’s state-owned Bharat Electronics Ltd. (BEL) and French aerospace and electronics firm Thales are joining forces to make civilian and military radars.

Both BEL and Thales have approved the formation of a joint venture company (JVC), subject to statutory approval by the governments of India and France.

“The JVC will be dedicated to the design, development, marketing, supply and support of civilian and select defense radars for Indian and global markets,” a BEL spokesman says. The products will be aimed at meeting the requirements of customers both in India and abroad, he adds. No financial details were given.

According to the official, the JVC also is likely to make equipment for France’s Dassault, whose Rafale fighter has been chosen for India’s $15 billion Medium Multirole Combat Aircraft program.

Under current Indian government rules for foreign direct investment in defense ventures, Thales will hold 26% equity in the new joint venture, while the remaining 74% will be held by BEL.